I’m Not the Girl I Was Last Year




Everyone changes.  You learn, you develop, and you experience new things.  Everything you come upon has some sort of effect on you.  That’s just how life works.  For the most part, these changes happen subtly over the course of a few years and dawdling enough that you barely even notice.

However, in 2016, I’ve changed the most -- so significantly to the point that I sometimes feel downright unrecognizable.  This past year tested my limits, made me fly and sent me crashing to the ground. I cried more, laughed more and spent a lot of my days in misconception.

My heart got broken. I lost the support of family and friends. Also, I learned that sometimes those “that’ll never happen to me” circumstances, may in reality happen to you.  As well, I gained incredible friends, who have taught and inspired me more than I could have conceivably imagined. They make sure I don’t take life too seriously, but drive me to stay focused every day. They are there for every laugh and every cry.

I had to figure out how to let people in while also sewing up my wounds on my own. It wasn’t easy and I spent time questioning every move I made. Nonetheless, I can’t and I don’t regret a thing.  I’ve learned too much and experienced too many vital things to look back and say “I truly wish I could take that back.”

Am I proud of all my judgments? I am certainly not. Did I do things I probably shouldn’t have? Yes, but that’s what helped me mature, and it was all worth it.  Who I am now isn’t afraid to make mistakes as long as I learn from them. I thought I was strong before, but I’m even stronger now. I know how to listen to my heart without entirely ignoring my mind.  I’ve learned how to let things go that I can’t control and not bottle up all of my emotions.

With every loss, I've gained something new. I’m still young and I haven’t figured it all out just yet. I’m still going to make senseless mistakes, and life is still going to test my boundaries.  I’m on a journey to be the best version of myself possible, whoever that may be.  Only God knows my future and only time will reveal it to me. 

~ J. Lynn