Insomnia During Pregnancy



It’s NOT FAIR that when you need it the most, you can't get it. You keep on telling yourself it's the last chance for a long time (at least until your baby's snoozing through the nighttime). Nonetheless, you still can't get any sleep. Insomnia hits particularly hard in the third trimester of pregnancy.  I’m on Week 32, Day 3 of my pregnancy and I’m going CRAZY trying to deal with this!

What Roots It?

A complex combination of all the hormonal fluctuations, numerous trips to the bathroom, leg cramps, and pre-birth anxiety can all cause difficulty sleeping around week 33 of pregnancy.  For me, the number one cause is anxiousness about labor since it will be my first time, and I don’t know what to expect. The second biggest thing that is affecting me is the constant thoughts about whether or not my son’s father will decide to show up and be a part of his life.  I know I can handle being a single mama, but I want my son to feel loved by his father as well.  I want the BEST for my son as any mother would.  I am continuously praying to God about these things, but yet still can’t seem to escape the worry.  It’s something I need to work on.

What You Must Know

You're undoubtedly getting more shut-eye than you think, but between the fact that your sleep is intermittent by your need to pee, and the fact that you're tossing and turning all night, it's no surprise you're feeling as if you're not sleeping during pregnancy at all. If there's any optimistic side here, it's the guarantee that you're getting some concrete preparation for what lies ahead.

What You Can Do

Don't fear. Insomnia can't hurt you or your baby. Sometimes just letting go of the worry and giving it to God is all it takes to help you sleep.

If you have insistent worries that are keeping you up each night, talk about them with a friend and try to sort them out during daytime hours.  Another thing to try is writing your thoughts down in a journal to help clear your mind.

Avoid caffeine, particularly in the late afternoon or evening, since that can keep you awake.
Drink earlier. Fill your daily requirement of H2O during the early evening to decrease the bathroom runs after you've hit the sack.

Move your body. Get some daily pregnancy exercise, but not too close to bedtime (a post-workout high can give you an energy boost and keep you awake).

Make a bedtime routine. Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time every day. Every night, read a book or play soft music.  One thing that has seemed to help me is a free app that I downloaded on my iPhone called “Ocean Wave Sounds for Sleep and Relaxation” (I’m a huge ocean lover!).

Get comfy. If you're uncomfortable, you won't sleep. Is your bedroom too cold? Is it too hot? Check the temperature, and make sure you're using a mattress that provides solid support.  A body pillow can help you get comfortable, and help you get the sleep you need.

Don't use sleep aids. Don’t depend on on over-the-counter, prescription or herbal pills to help you sleep. These are dangerous during pregnancy.

If you're not sleeping, get up. If you’re not asleep after 20 to 30 minutes of trying, conquer a small task that needs to be done and then try to go to sleep again.

Don't tally the hours. Though most people do best on eight hours of sleep, some do well on less and some require more. So instead of targeting for a specific number of sleep hours — ask yourself how you're feeling on the hours you're sleeping during pregnancy. If you're not persistently tired, you may be getting enough rest.


Sleep well during your last trimester beautiful mamas!!!


~ J. Lynn