Creating Your Birth Plan

Planning for labor is essential! Think about your birth environment, important paperwork, and the necessities you'll want to bring to help you feel prepared for the big day.

What do you need to bring with you?
• Photo ID
• Insurance card
• Important phone numbers 
• Comfy clothing (Personally, I am taking a few pair of leggings with me!)

Who do you want in the delivery room?
• Doula (I've decided to hire a doula for my 1st labor & I'm very excited about it!)
• Friend
• Partner
If you have a vaginal birth, what requests can you make?
• To view the birth using a mirror (I prefer not to see anything I don't have to! haha!)
• To touch your baby's head as it crowns (However, I will not be doing this.)
• For the hospital staff to help you with pushing techniques
• To be able to feel the urge before starting to push
What are your options for dealing with pain while in labor?
• Natural techniques (such as a shower, breathing techniques, massage, peanut ball, squatting bar) (I plan to use all of these natural techniques!!!)
• An epidural and/or spinal block (NO drugs for me!)
• No pain medication unless I specifically request it (Nada for me!)
The idea of something not going as planned is probably the last thing you want to think about.  Fortunately, planning ahead and talking to your OB or doula can help you plan for the unexpected and fully understand your options.

In case of interventions such as vacuum, forceps or episiotomy, what requests can you make?
• If you need any of these procedures, please let your OB know to discuss with you beforehand
• You would prefer not to have an episotomy unless medically necessary 
• You would prefer not to have forceps used
• You would prefer not to have a vacuum used 

What requests can you make for the umbilical cord?
• My partner (or other special person) to cut the cord (This is my personal choice!)
• To have the cord blood collected for banking

What are your options for holding your baby for the first time?
• Immediately after delivery
• After being wiped clean (This is my personal choice!)
• After weighing and initial cleaning

When can you start breastfeeding?
As soon as possible after the delivery (This is my personal choice!)
After discussion with a lactation consultant
When you feel comfortable

Please make sure you consider and understand all of these possibilities so that you can enjoy the delivery of your child to the fullest potential!  If I wouldn't have hired a doula, most of this probably would have never crossed my mind.  I want to pass on my new knowledge to any other pregnant women out there so that they can benefit from this information and have a very special delivery.


~ J. Lynn